Question: List out the merits and limitations of harmonic mean
ANS: List out the merits and limitations of harmonic mean
(i) its value is based on every item of the series.
(ii) It tends itself to algebraic manipulation.
(iii) In problems relating to time and rates it gives better results than other averages.
(i) it is not easily understood.
(ii) It is difficult to compute.
(iii) It gives largest weight to smallest items this is generally not a desirable feature and as such this average is not very useful for the analysis of economic data.
(iv) Its value cannot be computed when there are both positive and negative items in a series or when one or more items are zero.
(v) Because of these limitations the harmonic mean has little practical application and is not a good representation of a statistical series unless the phenomenon is such where small items need to be given a very high weight age.
- An automobile driver travels from pain to hill station 10lm. Distance at an average speed of 30 km. per hour. He then makes the rectum trip at average speed of 20 km. per hour what is his average spee
- List out the merits and limitations of harmonic mean
- What do you mean by median in statistics
- Explain the procedure to calculate weighted geometric mean.
- List out the advantages of median.
- Describe some of the mathematical properties of arithmetic mean
- Explain the procedure to compute quartiles, deciles
- Express weighted harmonic mean in central value
- List the types of arithmetic mean
- A cyclist covers his first five km; at an average speed of 10 km per hour. another km at 8km per hour and the last two km. at 5 km find average speed of the entire joule and verify your answer